Search this Blog for anything you thought you might have seen here.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Easter Eggstravaganza 12!

Tatted Easter Eggs by Kirsten Wind Hansen
Number 12 has  bugged me for some time!
It wasn't the tatting that was the problem
it was finishing off the egg with a final round of crochet.

It's not even that I don't know how to crochet, I haven't done it for a long time,but I was sure I wouldn't have forgotten the basics.
I guess it was just that the instructions didn't make a lot of sense to me, even tho' they were perfectly correct.

I intended to scan the first round of the egg with it's fringe of picots round the edge...looked pretty.
I had measured the picots with a picot gauge to get this fringe even enough to crochet round. I used 9mm measured horizontally.
But I forgot!
When I saw that Barbara Gordon has succeeded then I was eager to pick up my discarded egg again!

My problem begins with.....do I need to use a extra thread to crochet with or is it really as simple as Kirsten says.....
well yes it seemed that it really was that simple....
so my next problem was...what do I do when I get to the end and have a final loop on my crochet hook????
anyone got the answer????
My final loop actually is just lying there not attached and not sew in and it hasn't come undone.....but that's not really good enough.
I contemplate putting in a magic thread to pull it thro'...but that wouldn't work with a loop!
Do I have to sew it in with matching fine thread.
Anyway at the moment I am not feeling like making another one!
Does look pretty tho'!



6 comments:

  1. Just pull the end of the thread through the loop and pull the loop closed tightly. Then you can sew in the end of the thread to hide it. Easy peasy! Your egg is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankd Diane, But there is no end of thread as each picot is just looping through the last one,so I end up with the last loop. Should I have used an additional thread to crochet with? It doesn't say to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, it's not really each picot is crocheted in--they just loop over each other. I think in that case I would take a length of the same color thread and put it through the last and the first loop then tie and weave in. Or double this little extra length of thread and put the loop end through the last picot and the first picot then tuck the loose ends through the loop and pull to tighten. Tie and use the ends as a hanger...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't done this one - but on reading what you and Marty have discussed, I think perhaps it would have been easier to crochet with newly-joined thread. Then you'd have more scope for finishing it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, completely flummoxed as to the finishing of egg #12...Marty's suggestions seem suitable for finishing with a hanging cord. Will be thinking about this more, hoping for a lightning bolt of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmm thanks for the help. It is all really helpful.I will have to do this one again and try more options.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments they keep me blogging.
Every comment is much appreciated, but please try not to use my real name in a comment or on your blog. Tatskool is my on line name and one that I really like. Thanks.